Friday, October 1, 2010

Winter Commuter Project Bike: Day Zero

Knowing that winter is around the corner and that neither my road bike or my undersized hybrid would cut it in snow or ice, I have recently begun compiling specifications for a winter commuter. Expect to see many more posts about this, as I am hoping it will highlight my experiences as a fairly inexperienced person building a bike from the frame up.

Here is roughly what I want:
- Steel frame, lugged, something bulletproof.
- Carbine studded tires that can grip in snow and ice
- Fixed gear ratio (probably a freewheel for the hills around here) so I don't have gears that can freeze up.
- I would prefer to go with disc brakes, as I hear that they perform better in wet weather, but I dont have any experience with them and may change my mind after working with them.
- Eggbeater pedals. You can clip into them even when they are covered with crap.
- Leather seat and handlebar grips.
- And a custom paint job would be cool.

I'm planning on working with Sarah from Greenstreet and some of my friends to help me compile everything, and am looking forward to putting it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment