Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Daily Commute Musings for Oct 18

This morning was my coldest commute yet, a whopping 38 degrees when I left my apartment at 6:30. I had thought long and hard about what to wear exactly, and guaged it pretty good with most of my clothing choices: Pants with tights under them, light hat and gloves, clear shades, and a wind stopper jacket with a thermal baselayer under it. The only thing that I messed up on was my choice in grabbing a scarf. While the scarf kept my neck/lower face plenty warm and stayed on quite well (my two main initial concerns), it also redirected my hot, moist breath onto my safety goggles, fogging  them up completely at speeds under about 5 mph. This was not only unexpected, but also fairly detremental and scary.
Riding your bike blind in traffic at 6:30 in the morning is kinda like doing a 'trust fall' in the pitch dark, and when the people that you are falling into dont know that you are going to fall, and when you in fact arent even sure if there are people there to catch you. My only consolation was that I had a ridiculous amount of blinkers on my bike, so I was fairly sure that no one would hit me, and that I knew the route like the back of my hand, and could avoid potholes based on landmarks. I could see traffic lights and the outline of cars, but that was about it.
Probably not the most ideal way to start the day, but it sure woke me up. Coffee is for pussies.

I did make it to work safe (and warm), and have since vowed that I need one of those 'hood things' for this cold of days. I think its supposed to be a bit warmer the rest of this week, so hopefully I will be able to procure one before it gets this cold again.

No comments:

Post a Comment