Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Winter Commuter Project Bike: Day 10

Yesterday I picked my bike up from the powder coating place, and whoo baby! does it look nice. White and shiny! I had the guy who runs R&R make a few touch-ups (mostly taking off the coat where I thought that it might cause trouble, like the fork tube and headset seat ring), but otherwise he did a really good job. The powder coating seems tough and has hidden pretty much all of the gashes and scratches that were in the frame previously. Now I just need to rust-proof the inside of the frame, then I can start strapping on parts.

All the parts, 'after' picture to compare to the one below.

Lugs, painted and pretty
(With some apples and carrots in the background)

I am going to start researching parts more thoroughly this week, and I'm sure I will have questions/ideas posted on here soon. I am sad to see that Sturmey-Archer has not posted any updates on the freewheel version of the kickback hub, which was supposed to be released late October. You can follow their blog yourself here.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is pretty! I can't wait to see it all put together.

    I've got my eye on that 2 speed hub, too. Looks like a great tool for Omaha's midtown hills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now everyone’s going to see you when you ride down the road with your bike! The finish looks absolutely brilliant! I like the smooth, clean finish they were able to give the frame. I always love using white coating on metals because it’s so easy to spot the dirt and cleaning it off right away. Smart choice, Ben! Enjoy biking!

    [Lonnie Summerall]

    ReplyDelete